Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Esther Birdsall Darling

Esther Birdsall Darling
Description of Photograph: black and white photograph of Esther Birdsall Darling, bust only, evening gown and pearls

      "From earliest childhood my two greatest diversions have been animals and books. My taste in reading was somewhat influenced by an older brother whose preference was for tales of adventure. As a consequence, I scorned girls' books that dealt with the domestic and gentler virtues, and reveled in thrilling stories of explorers, hunters and detectives.
      "My family lived in Sacramento, though we spent much time at our olive grove in the Sierras. In both homes there was a good library, and a large collection of pets. Fifty-seven varieties might have served as our trademark in the latter line.
      "After my graduation from Mills College, there were several petless years in Europe, with travels that extended from London to Constantinople, and from the North Cape to the Desert of Sahara; with shorter trips to Mexico, the Hawaiian Islands, and the Orient.
      "In 1907 I married and went to Nome with my husband, Charles Edward Darling, who had lived in Alaska since 1900. During the ten years I called Nome my home, I learned to regard the Northern dogs not as pets, but as friends and co-workers.
      "In 190S the Nome Kennel Club was organized to improve the breed of sled dogs, and to promote a characteristic Arctic sport in the All Alaska Sweepstakes. I became so interested that my husband suggested that, with A. A. Allan, the best clog man in the North, I should enter a team in this famous annual race. Our teams met with many successes in those 408-mile dashes across the frozen wastes; and our wonderful leader, 'Baldy of Nome' became the hero of my story of that name."
      Mrs. Darling is the author of:
Have a question about the photograph? Just type it in the comment box and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. I only publish content that is closely related to the subject folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment